Draw an image that best represents Utilitarianism.
Try to capture these big ideas:
1. Discuss starter responses
2. Whole Class Review of ch. 2 to make sure we all have a basic understand of the reading/philosophy:
A. On page 33, Sandel explains two different approaches to justice that arise from a debate about the lifeboat case. What are these two different approaches to justice and which are you most drawn to at this point?
B. What does Bentham mean when he says, “We are all governed by the feelings of pain and pleasure. They are our ‘sovereign masters’. They govern us in everything we do and also determine what we ought to do” (34). How does this apply to the concept of utilitarianism?
C. Your note-taking form: (you need to fill out sample moral dilemmas and the objection boxes on your own. They are not all in my power point slide but are in the readings and we'll discuss some of them in class)
3. Study group guided questions for Chapter 2 of Justice
4. Whole Group clarification of small group discussion
5. Time to read chapter #3 Libertarianism
Humanities 11 Teacher at Animas High School