This Week's Agenda
Tuesday: Inspiration Journal Starter #1
Watch this video clip and answer the following questions: "Cursed by Coal: Mining the Navajo Nation"
Wednesday Inspiration Journal Starter #2:
"4 Corners" debate-- which of the following ethics most resonates with you and why? Go stand by the poster.
Example of Nature Writing: Read this. It's a student example and will get you psyched to go outside and commune with nature!
Thursday Inspiration Journal Starter #3:
Short Film about the Bakken: "White Earth"
Goal: To see what life is like for folks in the trenches of oil and gas production (not just company CEO's or consumers benefiting from these energy sources)
Write on this question after viewing the above short film:
1. Whole class review/discussion on "Bakken Business" article
2. Watch these:
Better Links for Town Hall Debate Prep (Activity 4):
§ Watch the film trailer to Uranium Drive-In and read the film summary to the right of the video on this website : http://uraniumdrivein.com/
§ Check out some Google Images of Uranium Mills
§ Energy Fuels Website: The old company that owned the mill
· This is the website for Energy Fuel, the nuclear power development company in charge of building and running uranium mills
· ***Use this sub-link particular to find out about another Uranium mine in Blanding Utah that is similar to proposed Pinonridgemill
· Use this link for more specifics on history of and uses of Uranium
· This article summarizes a town meeting in 2009 to hear from opponents and proponents to the mill. It summarizes pros and cons.
· This article discusses the cancer risks after the Fukishima nuclear power plant explosion
· This is an article in High Country News by a Telluride resident who argues against the mill.
§ Optional: Colorado Government Report on Health Risks of the Pinon Ridge Mill
Working in the Piñon Ridge Mill will be no more dangerous than working in any other industrial facility.
Some Additional Benefits of Nuclear Power according to Energy Fuel (The Company)
Monday, March 30th
Learning Goals: Understand the basic elements of the "Energy and Place" and critique Ashley's example Sense of Place essay
PARCC TESTING SCHEDULE
BOOK CLUB HONORS:
1. Energy and Place Project Overview + Time for Q and A
2. Ashley’s read-aloud of her example personal sense of place essay.
3. Critique: Does my essay meet the project task description? How so?
4. Explain Self-Guided Learning Assignment and begin work time
**Ashley to show example of Inspiration Journal
Humanities 11 Teacher at Animas High School