Get out your annotations/journal #1 out for Ashley to check for on-time credit
What should your annotations and written journal entries look like for FULL credit?
A. Skim through these examples:
B. Discuss with a partner what is good about the examples
C. Contribute to the white board prompt: If you were grading the journals, what would you expect to see for an A-level journal?
1. Read today's goals and big questions
2. Finish Reel Injun
3. 20 minutes: Time to finish Journal #2 (reaction to the film) and review Zinn's Ch. 1 reading:
4. Pair-Share your written reaction to the film AND your passage selection from Zinn reading
5. Whole class discussion on Zinn's chapter 1. IF YOU ARE ABSENT TODAY, jot down notes on the discussion questions posted below.
6. Time to read and annotate chapter 7 and finish journal #2 (the reaction to Reel Injun)
Ch. 1 Discussion Questions
1. How does this account of Christopher Columbus differ from what you were taught in Elementary school?
2. What differences between European and Indian cultures does Zinn highlight?
3. Read aloud pages 7-9: What is Zinn's criticism of traditional methods of telling history? How does his method differ?
4. Page 10: How is the oppressor a victim? What does Zinn mean by this?
5. How did English justify their conquest of Indian peoples? What were their tactics?
6. Discuss the big questions (and review pages 17-21 to do so)
Humanities 11 Teacher at Animas High School