Understand the basic tenets of Transcendentalism and try to identify them in TNTSJ
Starter 6: Read both of these quotes, and respond to ONE.
Your response should:
Quote #2: “In my view, teachers in state-controlled public schools are hired to teach there…Certainly a teacher is not paid to go into school and teach subjects the State does not hire him to teach…..The original idea of schools, which I do not believe is yet abandoned as worthless or out of date, was that children had not yet reached the point of experience and wisdom which enabled them to teacher all of their elders. It may be that the Nation has outworn the old-fashioned slogan that ‘children are to be seen not heard’ but one may…be permitted to harbor the thought that taxpayers send children to school on the premise that at their age they need to learn, not teach”- Supreme Court Justice Black dissenting with the majority opinion of the Tinker v. DesMoines 1969 Supreme Court Caseabout student protests during the Vietnam War.
1. Partner discussion on the starter
2. Overview and discussion of the 2014 Jefferson County Schools' Student Protests over School Board Decision: Video about the protests and Video Interview with school board member (5 minutes)
TRANSITION TO TRANSCENDENTALISM!!!
3. Read aloud pages 18 and 19 and then attempt to define "transcendentalism" based on this scene. Take your best shot!
4. Ashley's ppt on Transcendentalism (you might want to take notes as these ideas may be called upon for a seminar prep/seminar)
5. Volunteers for acting out pp 23-29, 32-40
6. Time to read (be through page 55 by the BOC tomorrow):
7. Class discussion
BIG QUESTION HERE: To what extent do you agree with Thoreau's philosophies? Does he serve as a good model for the role we as individuals should play in creating a just society?
Leave a Reply.
Humanities 11 Teacher at Animas High School