Tuesday, December 9th
Starter/Journal #6: Response to key passages in The Stranger
Choose 2 out of the 3 questions to respond to in well-developed paragraphs:
1. Near the end of the novel, the Chaplain asks Meursault, “Have you no hope at all? And do you really live with the thought that when you die, you die and nothing remains?”(117). How would you respond to this question?
2. Re-read page 85, focusing on paragraph 3: “I had the odd impression of being watched by myself…” How might this scene represent the tenet of “Alienation”? In what way(s) might Meursault be alienated both from himself and from others?
3. Read pages 103-105: “But all the long speeches, all the interminable days and hours that people had spent talking about my soul, had left me with the impression of a colorless swirling river that was making me dizzy.” What is going on for Meursault in this scene? Think about why Camus chose to write about a trial and what the trial might represent.
1. Class discussion on The Stranger
2. Group seminar prep (SHARE A COPY OF YOUR NOTES WITH ASHLEY!)
Study Groups for today
3. Time to read/annotate and begin Individual seminar prep
Leave a Reply.
Humanities 11 Teacher at Animas High School