Tuesday, April 15th
1. Understand what sense of place means and see examples of how writers and filmmakers define and describe sense of place.
2. Familiarize yourself with some frameworks of "sense of place" as characterized by relationships to place and community attachments.
3. Generate ideas and creative thoughts!
1. Intro to Sense of Place powerpoint
LINK TO THE ARTICLE ABOUT SENSE OF PLACE THAT IS IN MY POWERPOINT
2. Sense of Place Essays from Orion Magazine
"A sense of place is the sixth sense, an internal compass and map made by memory and spatial perception together.” —Rebecca Solnit
A. Read the Categories of Sense of Place: Relationships to Place and Community Attachments and circle the attachments/relationships that most connect to your relationship/attachment to place and community.
PAIR SHARE: Explain your selection(s) and why you chose it/them.
B. Sense of Place Essays from Orion Magazine
TOGETHER: Read "Traverse City, MI"
JOURNAL #7 complete C and D below:
C. READ AT LEAST 2 MORE yourself, asking the same questions of each. (Which of the categories of sense of place seem to apply here? What sort of relationship to the place does the author have? How would you characterize his/her community attachment?) Does the author reveal his/her environmental ethic? Note your connections and observations in your journal.
Sioux Falls, SD
The Bluffs: Pacific Palisades, CA
D. Name this portion of your journal after a place, such as in the titles of the Orion essays. Write about that place with details that attempt to reveal either the nature of your relationship with the place, your community attachment to the place, or both.
Leave a Reply.
Humanities 11 Teacher at Animas High School