Honors Seminar 7th Period!
Seminar Prep Part II: Analysis- Take notes on a shared google doc that you SHARE with Ashley too: Feel free to make a copy of THIS template to organize your notes:
1. Share ONE example from EACH of the 4 categories of annotation from above (A-D). Write down the quote and page #.
2. Select one quote from Abbey that you think is the best description of a place. Why do you like this passage? Write the quote down here and explain why you like it.
3. What are Abbey’s environmental ethics? Pick a quote that best supports your analysis.
4. What characteristics or adjectives does he ascribe to certain places? How does this reveal his perspective or feelings about these places? Think about how he describes such places as the inside of his trailer compared to the landscape of Arches compared to Hoboken, NJ, etc..
5. Discuss your discussion questions that you selected while annotating.
Part III: Critique- WITH A PARTNER (ON THE SAME GOOGLE DOC!)
1. Does Abbey do a good job of using sensory images like sight, taste, sound, touch, smell as well as metaphor, simile and analogy to paint a vivid picture of place for his readers? Why or why not?
2. Do you agree with Abbey’s ideas about the relationship between man and nature (or technology/progress and wilderness?) Why or why not?
3. Do you agree with his sense of environmental ethics? Why or why not?
Humanities 11 Teacher at Animas High School