Watch the CNN report on Morse v. Frederick (2002) aka “Bong Hits For Jesus”
Answer these three questions after watching the video:
1. Jeremy Bentham would support the Court’s ruling that the First Amendment does not protect the individual’s right to freedom of speech because we need to protect the greater good. How does the Court’s ruling protect the greater good?
2. J.S. Mill would say the Court’s ruling was morally wrong, because protecting individual liberty actually does benefit the greater good in the long run. How does protecting FREE SPEECH benefit the greater good in the long run?
3. The court ruled in favor of the school on this issue, thus using Bentham’s line of reasoning. How does this change the way you understand our protections under the First Amendment especially in the context of schools?
1. Ethos, Pathos and Logos powerpoint slides 23-52
2. Ethos, Pathos, Logos practice on Google.classroom : Find an example of either ethos, pathos or logos in the media and post it in response to my prompt on google classroom with a summary of why it is either ethos/pathos/logos
3. WORK TIME
Time to add your article to google classroom OR complete test corrections (Due end of day)
Humanities 11 Teacher at Animas High School