Welcome to Humanities 11!
Big Question: What is the function of education? Your own? For the human race?
1. Let's help the new Ospreys feel welcome!
2. Who am I, Ashley, your teacher? Questions for me?
3. A note on junior year: Best year of your life so far?
What are we doing?
Today, we are going to read a short chapter from a book entitled, Think on These Things by Krishnamurti about what the function (or role, or purpose) of education should be.
Why? Because I want you all to begin calling into question assumptions we as a society often make about how the way things are, are the way things ought to be. Because I want you to begin to formulate your own personal philosophy on the role of education. Because I want you to respond to the ideas in this reading as a way to shape our own classroom culture.
1. On the front/back of the reading: In 1 sentence or less, what do you think the function of education in our society is?
2. Read as much of the reading as you can and as you do, highlight/underline/star at least 2 lines or passages that stand out to you. Your selections can be ideas you love, hate, or simply find interesting.
3. Spirit Read! Share one of the lines/passages you selected.
Homework: By the beginning of class (BOC) on Monday, please have finished today's reading if you did not get to during class.
Humanities 11 Teacher at Animas High School