Today's Learning Goals
1. Understand the basic principles of and major arguments in Aldo Leopold's "Land Ethic" and evaluate the strengths and limitations of the "Land Ethic" as a legitimate environmental ethic.
1. Understanding and analyzing "The Land Ethic"-- CAN SOMEONE RECORD AND SEND ME OUR DISCUSSION FOR ABSENT STUDENTS.
2. Transition to film, Damnation
Step 1: Key Definitions
A. Ecoterrorism: "terrorism" with an ecological motive such as attacks against corporations perceived to be harming the natural environment. Examples might be burning a building, blowing up a dam, grafitting, etc...
B. Environmental Ethics: is the discipline in philosophy that studies the moral relationship of human beings to, and also the value and moral status of, the environment and its non-human contents. In other words, an environmental ethic determines what we are obligated to do with regards to the ENVIRONMENT.
Step 2: Discussion
1. What do you think are some of the positive and negative impacts of dams?
2. Do you think ecoterrorism is ethical? Can you think of an example where you would be able to justify an act of ecoterrorism?
3. What do you know about dams?
Step 3: Watch film!
Take notes using the document I give you in class.
Humanities 11 Teacher at Animas High School