1. Understand what sense of place means and see examples of how writers define and describe sense of place.
2. Familiarize yourself with some frameworks of "sense of place" as characterized by relationships to place and community attachments.
This starter is meant to get you brainstorming for our sense of place writing assignments. Choose which of the following three elements you need to most brainstorm/reflect on:
1. Group share-out on either your inspiration journal or research
2. Turn in your assignment!
3. Transition to SENSE OF PLACE! Ted Talk "Why Stay in Chernobyl? Because It's Home" (8 min.)
4. Intro to Sense of Place powerpoint
5. Sense of Place writing assignment rubric/description!
6. Read the Categories of Sense of Place: Relationships to Place and Community Attachments and circle the attachments/relationships that most connect to your relationship/attachment to place and community.
PAIR SHARE: Explain your selection(s) and why you chose it/them.
7. Let's look at some examples of Sense of Place Essays from Orion Magazine
TOGETHER: Read "Traverse City, MI"
8. IN YOUR GOOGLE DOC of STARTERS....
READ AT LEAST 1 MORE essay yourself, asking the same questions of each. (Which of the categories of sense of place seem to apply here? What sort of relationship to the place does the author have? How would you characterize his/her community attachment?) Does the author reveal his/her environmental ethic? Note your connections and observations in your journal.
Sioux Falls, SD
The Bluffs: Pacific Palisades, CA
***Sense of Place Writing Assignment Resources***
Humanities 11 Teacher at Animas High School