Today's Driving Questions
1. How was rhetoric used to persuade people about the Mexican-American War?
2. To what extent does Thoreau serve as a good model for how we as individuals should strive to live in creating a just society?
Starter: Take THIS survey to let me know your general comprehension level on the primary source readings!
- Honors reading and response questions to ch. 1 of Zinn due Tuesday
- No other homework this weekend! (Unless you feel like you need to get ahead in TNTSJ)
1. Finish reading the primary source readings on the Mexican American War and complete the historical thinking skills chart. Also, jot down questions or confusions you have about the readings.
2. Partner coaching
3. Whole class discussion to deconstruct the readings
GOAL: Identify each author's rhetoric (use of speech as a way to persuade their audience)? Who is the audience? What is the purpose of each article and what rhetoric does each use to make their point?
The Night Thoreau Spent in Jail
Assign student roles and read pp 3-14 aloud
Reading Schedule for TNTSJ
*Finish the play by NEXT Friday, 9/9*. All of the following reading deadlines are for the END OF CLASS so as to avoid homework!
Humanities 11 Teacher at Animas High School