Friday, October 3rd
Apply your understanding of ethos/pathos/logos to media
Evaluate to what extent freedom of speech should be restricted, if at all.
The B.O.R and Dec. of Ind activities are Journals-- keep them until I collect ALL journals next week
Answer these three questions after watching the video:
1. Jeremy Bentham would support the Court’s ruling that the First Amendment does not protect the individual’s right to freedom of speech because we need to protect the greater good. How does the Court’s ruling protect the greater good?
2. J.S. Mills would say the Court’s ruling was morally wrong, because protecting individual liberty actually does benefit the greater good in the long run. How does protecting FREE SPEECH benefit the greater good in the long run?
3. The court ruled in favor of the school on this issue, thus using Bentham’s line of reasoning. How does this change the way you understand our protections under the First Amendment especially in the context of schools?
1. Ethos, Pathos and Logos powerpoint slides 23-End
2. EDMODO Practice: Find an example of either ethos, pathos or logos in the media and post it on edmodo with a summary of why it is either ethos/pathos/logos
3. Journal #5: Response to "When Rights Encourage Wrongs: A student chat site triggers a class discussion of free speech issues" Hard copy only available in class [30 minutes]
LINK TO LIST OF JOURNALS
Friday Funny Video!
Leave a Reply.
Humanities 11 Teacher at Animas High School