A. STARTER/Journal #4
As a class, watch this TED TALK then respond to the following questions in your journal, then discuss them as a whole class:
- What are her main points?
- What is your reaction to her talk?
- How could you apply her spirit of innovation to ANY job you pursue? (education, healthcare, engineering, environmental consulting, coaching, business, etc....)
B. Self-Guided Learning Assignment Work Time
Use your time wisely today-- please do not waste class time.
Prioritize your class time in the following ways:
1. Due by the end of class: Activities 1-3
2. Due by Tuesday BEGINNING OF CLASS: Activity 4, Town Hall Debate Prep (SEE THE UPDATED LINKS BELOW)
3. Due by April 20th: Inspiration Journal (includes starters and Activity 5 journal prompts)
4. Happiness and Meaning project art piece (if not complete)
5. Extension readings/films/videos
Better Links for Town Hall Debate Prep (Activity 4):
§ Watch the film trailer to Uranium Drive-In and read the film summary to the right of the video on this website : http://uraniumdrivein.com/
§ Check out some Google Images of Uranium Mills
§ Energy Fuels Website: The old company that owned the mill
· This is the website for Energy Fuel, the nuclear power development company in charge of building and running uranium mills
· ***Use this sub-link particular to find out about another Uranium mine in Blanding Utah that is similar to proposed Pinonridgemill
· Use this link for more specifics on history of and uses of Uranium
· This article summarizes a town meeting in 2009 to hear from opponents and proponents to the mill. It summarizes pros and cons.
· This article discusses the cancer risks after the Fukishima nuclear power plant explosion
· This is an article in High Country News by a Telluride resident who argues against the mill.
§ Optional: Colorado Government Report on Health Risks of the Pinon Ridge Mill
Working in the Piñon Ridge Mill will be no more dangerous than working in any other industrial facility.
Some Additional Benefits of Nuclear Power according to Energy Fuel (The Company)
Humanities 11 Teacher at Animas High School