Read the following quote by the legendary Ed Abbey, then write about a place that holds significance to you and that you find beautiful or find peace within. It could be ANYWHERE! Inside or outside! A corner in your bedroom, or a mountain range. A city alleyway or a highway corridor. Describe it in as much detail as you can and explain why you find it beautiful or why it is significant to you.
"This is the most beautiful place on earth. There are many such places. Every man, every woman, carries in heart and mind the image of the ideal place, the right place, the one true home, known or unknown, actual or visionary. A house-boat in Kashmir, a view down Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn, a gray gothic farmhouse two stories high at the end of a red dog road in the Allegheny Mountains, a cabin on the shore of a blue lake in spruce and fir country, a greasy alley near Hoboken waterfront, or even possibly for those of less demanding sensibility, the world to be seen from a comfortable apartment high in the tender, velvety smog of Manhattan, Chicago, Paris, Tokyo, Rio or Rome- there's no limit to the human capacity for homing sentiment" -- Edward Abbey, Desert Solitaire, pages 1-2.
1. Intro to Sense of Place powerpoint (15 minutes) + Share out your starter response
2. Discuss "Rediscovery of North America" (30 minutes)
5th Period: Guest Speaker, Greg Cairns, to share his experience at Standing Rock, protesting the Dakota Access Pipeline
Additional Standing Rock resources recommended by Greg
1. Viceland's Sacred Water documentary.
2. Unicorn Riot's live feed of the eviction. Greg was filming next to them all day. They were knowledgeable and spoke accurately most of the time. This video is long but shows the eviction in full.
3. Unicorn Riot's video of the post-eviction clean up. Watch 39:00-42:00.
Leave a Reply.
Humanities 11 Teacher at Animas High School