Natural Gas flares at night from U.S. shale oil boom. Some scientists claim we burn enough gas to fuel all the homes in Chicago and Washington combined. Natural gas emits 50 to 60 percent less carbon dioxide (CO2) when combusted in a new, efficient natural gas power plant compared with emissions from a typical new coal plant. However, when not combusted, or burned, natural gas emits methane, which is a far more toxic greenhouse gas than CO2. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d2d2e83c-6721-11e2-a805-00144feab49a.html#axzz4591qoAS0
It has been over two weeks! Let's try to collectively recall everything we can about the catalysts for the environmental ethics movement (what happened in the 1960's that inspired an environmental ethics movement and ultimately passage of the 1970 Clean Air Act?) and the film with Leonardo DiCaprio, Before the Flood. First, individually jot down everything you can remember!
1. Share starter! Get notes on the board. Capture them for yourself (why? Helps you retain information. Will be useful for the final exam)
2. Finish Before the Flood (20 minutes)
3. Envt Ethics lecture continued (note-taking packets!? ignore the last few pages on Political Party Platform research and Years Living Dangerously notes-- we don't have time for those assignments)
4. Begin reading Aldo Leopold's "The Land Ethic". DUE THURSDAY, beginning of class!
Resources to build on "Bakken Business" (recommended, not required)
1. Short Film about the Bakken: "White Earth"Goal: To see what life is like for folks in the trenches of oil and gas production (not just company CEO's or consumers benefiting from these energy sources)
2. Great website with videos outlining pros/cons of various energy production schemes
Humanities 11 Teacher at Animas High School