Today's Learning Goals
1. Understand the basic principles of and major arguments in Aldo Leopold's "Land Ethic" and evaluate the strengths and limitations of the "Land Ethic" as a legitimate environmental ethic.
2. Understand the major types of environmental ethics and begin to reflect on your personal envt ethic.
Listen to EPISODE 1 of the "Everything is Connected" Podcast
1. Understanding and analyzing "The Land Ethic"-- CAN SOMEONE RECORD AND SEND ME OUR DISCUSSION FOR ABSENT STUDENTS.
2. Envt. Ethics continued: POWERPOINT LINK
NO STARTER. Happy Friday!
1st period: Guest Speaker, Geoscientist Professor Lauren Heerschap from Fort Lewis College to speak on Climate Change
Poll on our camping trip-- Who is coming? Who has a 4-person tent? Who has a good stove?
1. Go over note-taking form for Environmental Ethics content
2. Intro to Envt. Ethics: POWERPOINT LINK
3. If time and/or if boredom from powerpoint becomes too unbearable, we'll check out some of the resources below.
Resources to build on "Bakken Business" (recommended, not required)
1. Short Film about the Bakken: "White Earth"Goal: To see what life is like for folks in the trenches of oil and gas production (not just company CEO's or consumers benefiting from these energy sources)
2. Great website with videos outlining pros/cons of various energy production schemes
Natural Gas flares at night from U.S. shale oil boom. Some scientists claim we burn enough gas to fuel all the homes in Chicago and Washington combined. Natural gas emits 50 to 60 percent less carbon dioxide (CO2) when combusted in a new, efficient natural gas power plant compared with emissions from a typical new coal plant. However, when not combusted, or burned, natural gas emits methane, which is a far more toxic greenhouse gas than CO2. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d2d2e83c-6721-11e2-a805-00144feab49a.html#axzz4591qoAS0
Starter #28: Review Damnation
1. What considerations hold the most weight for you when forming your perspective on dams and WHY?
1. In small groups, share out all your notes from the film yesterday. Decide which of your points in each column hold the most weight and circle them. Then, add your group's notes to our class whiteboard.
2. Class discussion on Damnation
3. Turn in your film notes-- NAME ON IT?
4. Transition to "Bakken Business"
A. Quick video on fracking to provide more context on the "Bakken Business" reading
B. Small group discussion on the article
C. Whole class review/discussion on "Bakken Business" article
Definitions for our starter:
A. Ecoterrorism: "terrorism" with an ecological motive such as attacks against corporations perceived to be harming the natural environment. Examples might be burning a building, blowing up a dam, grafitting, etc...
B. Environmental Ethics: is the discipline in philosophy that studies the moral relationship of human beings to, and also the value and moral status of, the environment and its non-human contents. In other words, an environmental ethic determines what we are obligated to do with regards to the ENVIRONMENT.
1. What do you think are some of the positive and negative impacts of dams?
2. Do you think ecoterrorism is ethical? Can you think of an example where you would be able to justify an act of ecoterrorism?
Honors check your email-- seminar moved to Tuesday, 7th period.
Camping trip planning meeting today at lunch
1. Quick video on fracking to provide more context on the "Bakken Business" reading
3. Discuss the film
4.Time to read "Bakken Business"
Welcome back! I've been waiting for this day for the past four weeks! My days have been lonely and dreary without you all here each day to help me greet the morning.
This is how I felt trying to get out of bed each morning while you all were gone:
This is how I felt this morning:
Talk to your neighbors about a few highlights from spring break or LINK. Be ready to share something your neighbor said with the class!
1. Refinements on Happiness and Meaning projects are due Monday, April 11th
2. Honors seminar on Cat's Cradle is Thursday during 2nd period. Please complete the seminar prep packet by then.
3. Desert Camping trip is still on for April 21-23. I need 4-5 volunteers to help with planning the trip. This will require some lunch meetings! First one being on Wednesday.
4. Reminder on OLD deadlines: Happiness and Meaning project + DP Update
If you submitted your H and M project on time:
If you did not submit it on time:
Intro to Energy and Place project
Humanities 11 Teacher at Animas High School